Champions League Final Preview – Will the World Cup have an impact?

Latest Posts Forums Football Views Champions League Final Preview – Will the World Cup have an impact?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Scott Summers

This weekend sees Real Madrid and Liverpool face off in the Champions League Final. Rather than analyse which team I think will win or tell you all why I think it will be Real Madrid. I have a theory that could change the effort levels of some players, and that is the World Cup.

As I have observed as the season has been drawing to a close, it has appeared that many Premier League players already had their mind on the World Cup, those that had a guaranteed squad place that is!

But could the biggest club game of so of these players’ careers be impacted by the spending World Cup? I would argue that anyone not involved in the World Cup will definitely be giving their all, and the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo would be giving his all for any game of this importance. But We’ve seen the likes of Salah have a drop in form arguably due to the World Cup in the future, where he will have his nation’s hopes on his shoulders.

I guess we will have to see this weekend, but let me know what you all think, will all 22 players I’ve there all, or could we see some sub-par performances from players who are disregarding the Champions League Final due to the World Cup in so close!

Embed from Getty Images

Danny Cook
    Keymaster

Nice post Scott. Interesting discussion point, certainly for some players in the Premier League who probably knew they were going to the World Cup dropped their performance levels if they had nothing to play for domestically. Although I think as the Champions League is such a sought after competition, I’d be surprised if the likes of Salah, Milner or Ronaldo approached the game with any less than 100%. This is there chance to embed themselves in their respective club’s history.

What does everyone else think?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.