Thriller in West London As QPR Book Second Round Spot

Embed from Getty Images

QPR have booked their spot in the second round of the League Cup

The home side started the brighter of the two sides and were almost ahead after three minutes when Ilias Chair had an early effort blocked, before Nakhi Wells, who rejoined Rangers on loan for a second spell on deadline day, saw his effort deflected for a corner.

The R’s were soon testing City again when Toni Leistner narrowly put his header wide under pressure from the Bristol City backline.

The away side then enjoyed a spell of possession before Famara Diedhiou was given space to race into the box and round Liam Kelly to net in front of the Loft end.

The home side were not behind for long. Wells levelled with a quarter of the first half gone, with a driven 20-yard strike that nestled in the bottom of the corner of the net.

Embed from Getty Images

Wells then linked up with Mark Pugh before, Pugh was denied by Daniel Bentley. Moments later Pugh and Wells were at it again, this time Pugh provided the assist for Chair to put QPR ahead with just half an hour played.

Ryan Manning also tested Bentley, who just managed to keep the Irishman out. City managed to level the score in the final five minutes of the half, thanks to Jack Hunt, who unleashed a rocket into the top corner.

If the first half was entertaining, then the second matched it for value, as the sides continued to cancel each other out.

Manning had a chance to set up Chair for his second, before Liam Walsh made full use of his dead-ball ability. He smashed in a free-kick from 30 yards, to notch City ahead.

Chair should have added a Rangers third, as both sides had golden opportunities to find the net before Manning, seemed to be manhandled in the box, but the officials thought otherwise.

Wells rattled the bar inside the last ten minutes before the forward was then fouled in the box. The Hoops now had the chance to level the match.

Manning stepped up and remained cool under pressure as he found the net, forcing the game toward a penalty shootout.

In the shootout, Manning lead the way for QPR dispatching his penalty with ease, before Diedhiou who opened the scoring for the visitors blasted his penalty over the bar.

Embed from Getty Images

Both sides converted and faltered from 12 yards as it went to sudden death. Matt Smith and Yohan Barbett missed for the west London side. Tottenham loanee, Luke Amos did the business from the spot before Kelly saved Bailey Wright’s penalty after saving Niclas Eliasson to book a home second round tie against Portsmouth for Mark Warburton’s side.

Did you see the game? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below or tweet us @HalfTime_Cuppa.