Party On The Wirall As Tranmere End Football League Hiatus

Embed from Getty Images

Tranmere Rovers secured a battling 2-1 win over Boreham Wood on Saturday to secure a return to The Football League after a three-year absence.

In what was an action-packed game there was drama early on as Tranmere’s Liam Ridehalgh was sent off within 48 seconds after putting in a rash two-footed challenge on Ricky Shakes. Leaving the Tranmere fans in shocked silence around the ground and on the side closest to my side in the press box there were a number of fans with their head in their hands mirroring Ridehalgh’s body language as he walked down the tunnel close to tears.

Embed from Getty Images

Tranmere took the lead when Andy Cook headed James Norwood’s cross to send Rovers fans into raptures as they looked to put the ghosts of last years final to rest.

Embed from Getty Images

But Boreham Wood who were looking to make history by achieving promotion to the football league for the first time in their history had their chances and in the eighth minute of injury-time Bruno Andrade side-footed home to equalise. Which was met with a chorus of boos from Tranmere fans who were incensed that play was able to continue even thought six minutes of injury time were indicated.

The goal was a big boost for Boreham Wood who went for the kill in the second-half and enjoyed the lion’s share of possession but Rovers dealt well with the pressure and almost grabbed their second goal through a slice of fortune Connor Jennings hit a long-range shot that deflected off a Boreham Wood defender that almost found the boot of James Norwood who was unable to get to the ball and stick the ball in the net.

Boreham Wood were almost gifted a goal by Tranmere’s keeper Scott Davies who dropped the ball like a wet bar of soap in front of Tom Champion but Tranmere lead by their unit of a defender captain Steve McNulty they were able to clear the ball.

Chances were at both ends but Norwood out jumped the Boreham Wood defence as he headed home with 10 minutes left past Grant Smith who was unable to keep the header out. To seal promotion for Rovers to send Tranmere fans ballistic again.

Boreham Wood had a big shout for a penalty in the dying minutes but it was Tranmere cheered on by their fans who didn’t stop singing and cheering on their Super white army who left Wembley the happiest as they now look forward to playing in League 2 for the first time in three years next season.

Embed from Getty Images

Images within the article courtesy of Getty Images

Featured Image courtesy of Charlie Pumfrey